Work Days: Varies
Shift Start/End Time: 5:00am - 9:00am
Hours Per Week: 20
Weeks Per Year: 52
Pay Status and Classification: Regular, part-time.
Number of openings: Two positions are available.
Position Purpose: Responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of office spaces and common spaces across campus.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Ice Rink Cleaning and Maintenance: Performs routine cleaning tasks to ensure the cleanliness and hygiene of the athletic ice rink facility. Sweeps, mops, and vacuums the floors to remove debris, dust, and dirt. Cleans and sanitizes restrooms, locker rooms, and other public areas. Empties trash receptacles and replace liners as needed. Maintains cleanliness in seating areas, spectator zones, and team facilities.
- Cleaning and Maintenance: Removes office and building trash. Washes windows, cleans showers, bathrooms, and public areas using wet/dry mop, vacuum cleaner, cleaning cloths and cleaning solutions. Follows safety instructions/procedures related to clothing, gloves, goggles, masks and use of cleaning chemicals. Cleans, strips and waxes tile and floors. Shampoos and extracts carpeting. Maintains vacuums and other equipment by making simple adjustments such as installing new vacuum bags and mop heads, moving equipment from location to location as necessary. Removes snow from entryways and walkways.
- Event Preparation Assistance: Assists with special events including but not limited to table and chair setup.
- Additional Tasks: Pitches in to assist colleagues when needed.
- Ability to lift moderately heavy items (up to 50 lbs.), and stand, bend and stoop for extended periods of time.
- Must be safety conscious, able to read, write and understand written and verbal instructions and work with a diverse group of staff and students.
- Ability to work on weekends may be required. During emergency situations will be required to work in the event of a personnel shortage.
- Must have a valid driver's license with a clean driving record for cleaning jobs that include weekends. Does not apply to part-time cleaning jobs.
- The ability to foster and enhance a thriving, diverse, inclusive, and culturally vibrant community, while promoting a sense of belonging among students, faculty and staff colleagues, and alumni.
- Ability to read, write and understand written and verbal instructions.
We know some job seekers may not apply for career opportunities unless they meet every qualification in the position description including the preferred qualifications. We are most interested in hiring the best staff and faculty colleagues, and recognize that a successful candidate may come from a less traditional career path. We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our preferred qualifications.
Note: All new hires of Union College are subject to a thorough education, work experience, and criminal history background check.
The rate for this position is $15.00 per hour. Except for roles with a set rate of pay, the wage/salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to departmental budgets, qualifications, experience, education, licenses, specialty, and training. The stated hiring rate/range represents the College’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the rate/range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
We offer exceptional benefits including:
- Generous Vacation, Sick and Personal Time
- Winter Recess Break in Addition to Paid Holidays
- Healthcare, Dental, and Vision Insurance (Flexible Spending and Dependent Care Accounts)
- Free On-Campus Fitness Facility Access and Discounts for On-Campus Wellness Programs
- Employee Scholarships toward Certifications, Seminars, Training and Professional Development
- Pre and Post Tax participation in a 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Salary Continuation Program in the event of Disability
- Tuition Assistance Program for Employee, Spouse and/or Dependents
If you require an accommodation throughout the interview process, please don't hesitate to contact our Human Resources department at email@example.com or 518-388-6108. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates have equal access to opportunities and can participate in a fair and inclusive hiring process.
Diversity at Union College
Union College is an equal opportunity employer and strongly committed to student and workforce diversity. Increasing diversity on campus is a critical priority for Union, one that is integral to our mission of preparing students for a globally interconnected world. Union provides a blend of intellectual, social and cultural opportunities to facilitate the integrated academic, social and personal development of a diverse community. We value and are committed to a host of diverse populations and cultures including, but not limited to, those based on race, religion, disability, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin and veteran status. Union College is committed to providing access and will provide reasonable accommodation in its application process to individuals with disabilities that request such accommodations.
Officially chartered in 1795, Union College is the fifth oldest liberal arts college in the country. Located in the Capital District of New York State, Union is a highly selective residential and undergraduate college, home to 2,200 students and 220 faculty, and offering 44 majors. Union was the first liberal arts college to rethink the traditional liberal arts education and adopt an engineering curriculum. That pioneering approach continues today with an education that encourages students to work beyond the limits of disciplinary boundaries, allowing them to think globally and lead innovatively in a world where problem solving requires breadth across humanities, arts, social sciences, science, and engineering.