Work Days: Sundays - Saturdays from 5 p.m. - 11:15 p.m. Hours and work days vary. Schedule will be worked out with the team upon hire.
Shift Start/End Time: Evening shift (5 p.m. - 11:15 p.m.)
Hours Per Week: 30
Weeks Per Year: 44
Convenience Store (C-Store) Supervisor
Pay Status and Classification: Non-exempt, regular full-time. This is a 10-month position. This position is based on campus.
Supervisor: Campus Store Manager
Position Purpose: Supervises and guides the convenience store team to facilitate an easy and positive experience for students, staff, faculty and others who visit The Campus Store at Union Convenience Store. Ensures the C-Store team is providing excellent customer service through positive and helpful interaction.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Customer Service: Demonstrates professionalism, patience and a people-first attitude to ensure a positive experience for all customers. Performs and supervises an efficient and consistent cashiering experience with dedication to speed, accuracy and empathy. Anticipates the needs of the customer and provides knowledge about goods and services to fit their needs.
- Supervision and Team Development: Recruits and trains student workers in partnership with other c-store leadership. Supervises student workers to ensure customers needs are met and expectations are exceeded. Collaborates with other C-Store Supervisors and student staff to ensure exemplary customer service.
- Inventory and Budgeting: Manages inventory maintenance, variety and replenishment while meeting budgeted departmental goals. Participates in annual physical inventory of the bookstore. Works closely with the C-store team to prevent and reduce shrink through excellent customer service and following protocol. Maintains a clean, safe, orderly, and easy to navigate store, including proper storage of inventory on shelves and in coolers.
- Business Development: Builds and maintains relationships with vendors in the surrounding community to bring in goods at competitive pricing. Engages with the campus community to solicit input and feedback about store selection. Stays current with trending styles and appropriate products to ensure return of investment.
- High school diploma or equivalent with two or more years of customer service experience, or a combination of relevant education, training, certifications, and work experience. Associates degree preferred. Retail experience preferred.
- Strong math skills and familiar with computers. Experience with registers and Point of Sale (POS) systems preferred.
- Ability to work day, night and weekend shifts regularly.
- Ability to safely stand, bend, lift and carry up to 15 lbs. continuously throughout the workday without assistance is required.
- Safety conscious and able to adhere and enforce safe working practices.
- Service-oriented, professional and trustworthy demeanor is required.
- Ability to effectively multi-task, train, delegate and community (verbally and in writing) is essential. Previous supervisory experience is preferred.
- Able to support, contribute to, and strengthen a vibrant, culturally diverse, and inclusive learning community of students, alumni, faculty, and fellow professionals.
- Able to anticipate, deliver on, and exceed the expectations of c-store customers e.g. students, faculty, alumni, supervisees, and colleagues, etc.
- Able to introduce and drive innovation in ways small and large.
- Able to proactively identify and pursue relevant learning and professional development opportunities and apply new knowledge, insights, and skills to enhance results.
We are committed to recruiting diverse and excellent faculty and staff colleagues, and we recognize that successful candidates may come from a range of backgrounds. We know some job candidates may believe they need to meet every qualification listed in the position description, in particular the preferred qualifications. We encourage you to apply, even if you do not meet every one of the listed preferred qualifications.
Note: All new hires of Union College are subject to a thorough education, work experience, and criminal history background check.
The rate for this position is $17.00 - $17.50 per hour. Except for roles with a set rate of pay, the wage/salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to departmental budgets, qualifications, experience, education, licenses, specialty, and training. The stated hiring rate/range represents the College’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the rate/range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
We offer exceptional benefits including, but not limited to the following:
- Generous Vacation, Sick and Personal Time
- Winter Recess Break in Addition to Paid Holidays
- Healthcare, Dental, and Vision Insurance (Flexible Spending and Dependent Care Accounts)
- Free On-Campus Fitness Facility Access and Discounts for On-Campus Wellness Programs
- Employee Scholarships toward Certifications, Seminars, Training and Professional Development
- Pre and Post Tax participation in a 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Salary Continuation Program in the event of Disability
- Tuition Assistance Program for Employee, Spouse and/or Dependents
If you require an accommodation throughout the interview process, please don't hesitate to contact our Human Resources department at email@example.com or 518-388-6108. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates have equal access to opportunities and can participate in a fair and inclusive hiring process.
Diversity at Union College
Union College is an equal-opportunity employer and is strongly committed to student and workforce diversity. Increasing diversity on campus is a critical priority for Union, one that is integral to our mission of preparing students for a globally interconnected world. Union provides a blend of intellectual, social, and cultural opportunities to facilitate the integrated academic, social, and personal development of a diverse community. We value and are committed to a host of diverse populations and cultures including, but not limited to, those based on race, religion, disability, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, and veteran status. Union College is committed to providing access and will provide reasonable accommodation in its application process to individuals with disabilities who request such accommodations.
Union College will not discriminate in the recruitment or selection of faculty and employees, or in any other area of employment, on the basis of age, sex, race, national origin, religion, religious belief, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and veteran status. In this regard, opportunities for advancement will be made available without bias. The College is also subject to state and federal laws and supports efforts to attract and retain fully qualified women and other minority group members for faculty and other positions. Union College will comply with the letter and intent of all State and Federal laws and applicable orders pursuant to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action.
Officially chartered in 1795, Union College is the fifth-oldest liberal arts college in the country. Located in the Capital District of New York State, Union is a highly selective residential and undergraduate college, home to 2,200 students and 220 faculty, and offering 44 majors. Union was the first liberal arts college to rethink the traditional liberal arts education and adopt an engineering curriculum. That pioneering approach continues today with an education that encourages students to work beyond the limits of disciplinary boundaries, allowing them to think globally and lead innovatively in a world where problem-solving requires breadth across humanities, arts, social sciences, science, and engineering.