Work Days: Monday-Friday
Shift Start/End Time: 8:00 a.m.-4:24 p.m.
Hours Per Week: 37
Weeks Per Year: 52
Accounts Payable Specialist
Pay status and classification: Non-exempt, Regular full-time
Supervisor: Director of Procurement
Position purpose: In charge of overseeing the daily functions of the Union College credit card initiative, encompassing reconciliations, dispute resolutions, reimbursements, and expense management. Acts as the primary liaison for any inquiries regarding the Union College credit program. Delivers exceptional customer service to faculty and staff members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Credit Card Program Management: Administers new credit cards. Manages the reimbursement and reconciliation process. Turns cards off as necessary. Generates reports about card usage. Assists with resolving credit card disputes. Trains employees on the College credit card program.
- Expense Auditing: Processes employee expense reports, verifying receipts and adherence to company expense policies. Ensures that expense reports are accurately coded and approved before processing reimbursement.
- Invoice Processing: Receives, reviews, and processes invoices from vendors and suppliers. Verifies the accuracy of invoices, including matching them to purchase orders and receipts. Ensures all necessary approvals are obtained before processing invoices for payment. Resolves discrepancies or issues related to invoices and escalates as necessary.
- Payment Processing: Prepares and schedules payments for approved invoices using various payment methods (check, electronic funds transfer, etc.). Coordinates with the finance team to ensure proper allocation of expenses and account coding. Maintains accurate records of payment transactions and related documentation.
- Compliance and Documentation: Ensures compliance with College policies and procedures, as well as relevant accounting regulations. Maintains organized and up-to-date records of invoices, payments, and related documentation.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field and prior purchasing card experience and/or a combination of relevant education, training, certifications, and/or work experience.
- Prior experience using the Bank of America Works program is preferred.
- Prior experience working in a higher education system is preferred.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy in data entry and financial transactions.
- Proficiency in using accounting software and Microsoft Office Suite (especially Excel).
- Knowledge of relevant accounting principles, regulations, and best practices.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work independently, manage priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to foster and enhance a thriving, diverse, inclusive, and culturally vibrant community, while promoting a sense of belonging among students, faculty and staff colleagues, and alumni.
- Familiarity with ERP (enterprise resource planning) systems or accounting software (e.g., WorkDay, SAP, Oracle, QuickBooks) is a plus.
We know some job seekers may not apply for career opportunities unless they meet every qualification in the position description including the preferred qualifications. We are most interested in hiring the best staff and faculty colleagues, and recognize that a successful candidate may come from a less traditional career path. We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our preferred qualifications.
Note: All new hires of Union College are subject to a thorough education, work experience, and criminal history background check.
The hourly rate for this position is $20.00 - $22.00. Except for roles with a set rate of pay, the wage/salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to departmental budgets, qualifications, experience, education, licenses, specialty, and training. The stated hiring rate/range represents the College’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the rate/range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
We offer exceptional benefits including:
- Generous Vacation, Sick and Personal Time
- Winter Recess Break in Addition to Paid Holidays
- Healthcare, Dental, and Vision Insurance (Flexible Spending and Dependent Care Accounts)
- Free On-Campus Fitness Facility Access and Discounts for On-Campus Wellness Programs
- Employee Scholarships toward Certifications, Seminars, Training and Professional Development
- Pre and Post Tax participation in a 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Salary Continuation Program in the event of Disability
- Tuition Assistance Program for Employee, Spouse and/or Dependents
If you require an accommodation throughout the interview process, please don't hesitate to contact our Human Resources department at email@example.com or 518-388-6108. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates have equal access to opportunities and can participate in a fair and inclusive hiring process.
Diversity at Union College
Union College is an equal opportunity employer and strongly committed to student and workforce diversity. Increasing diversity on campus is a critical priority for Union, one that is integral to our mission of preparing students for a globally interconnected world. Union provides a blend of intellectual, social and cultural opportunities to facilitate the integrated academic, social and personal development of a diverse community. We value and are committed to a host of diverse populations and cultures including, but not limited to, those based on race, religion, disability, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin and veteran status. Union College is committed to providing access and will provide reasonable accommodation in its application process to individuals with disabilities that request such accommodations.
Union College will not discriminate in the recruitment or selection of faculty and employees, or in any other area of employment, on the basis of age, sex, race, national origin, religion, religious belief, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and veteran status. In this regard, opportunities for advancement will be made available without bias. The College is also subject to state and federal laws, supports efforts to attract and retain fully qualified women and other minority group members for faculty and other positions. Union College will comply with the letter and intent of all State and Federal laws and applicable orders pursuant to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action.
Officially chartered in 1795, Union College is the fifth oldest liberal arts college in the country. Located in the Capital District of New York State, Union is a highly selective residential and undergraduate college, home to 2,200 students and 220 faculty, and offering 44 majors. Union was the first liberal arts college to rethink the traditional liberal arts education and adopt an engineering curriculum. That pioneering approach continues today with an education that encourages students to work beyond the limits of disciplinary boundaries, allowing them to think globally and lead innovatively in a world where problem solving requires breadth across humanities, arts, social sciences, science, and engineering.