Reporting to the Director of Procurement, the Senior Procurement Associate ensures continuous and efficient operations, develops and implements strategic purchasing tools and programs to provide greater quality, cost-savings and efficiency of the College’s resources. Assists with all aspects of Contract Management for the campus community:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 5+ years of progressive experience in a financial setting preferably in Purchasing and/or Accounts Payable.
- Strong analytical capabilities and attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Excel and data visualization tools (e.g., Tableau, PowerBI, PPT.)
- Understanding of standard procurement best practices and operational approaches.
- Self-starter attitude to identify new opportunities, gather input on potential options from stakeholders, and make recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with diverse groups within and outside of a procurement organization and clearly communicate with multiple stakeholders / organizations within an institution to facilitate an efficient contracting process, including describing basic contract terms and risks to business partners and decision-makers.
- Own Union’s 3rd party spend data, ensuring the data is accurate and complete.
- Conduct regular analyses and reports on 3rd party spend data, identifying inconsistencies, areas out of compliance with policies, and opportunities for savings.
- Develop recommendations on savings opportunities and present them to the Director of Procurement.
- Run standard procurement operational activities e.g., drafting and issuing RFPs, in collaboration with other Union stakeholders to ensure requirements are met.
- Support purchasing activities of Union functions (e.g., buying from contracts).
- Assess compliance of p-card users; identify inconsistencies, generate reports, and follow up with users where out of compliance; escalate where required. Establish user profiles, security, and provide training.
- Maintains and controls files for purchase orders, payment requests, office supply requests, NYS tax exempt certificates, city and school taxes, college stationery requisitions, and credit cards.
- Resolves vendor inquiries.
- Submit credit applications to vendors as needed.
- Review open Purchase Orders and close out Purchase Orders each fiscal year.
- Assists in developing, implementing and administering new purchasing policies and procedures. Assures purchasing policies are followed campus-wide.
- Processes and administers purchase orders /change requests for capital projects.
- Primary contact for the OneSolution Purchasing module on campus, including conducting training sessions, creating end-user documentation, and the creation/maintenance of a campus-wide development plan.
- Maintains/Enhances Web site and necessary push communications.
- Provide instruction and direction to the campus community and ensure policies are followed campus-wide.
- Act as a liaison to vendors that support the College, including assistance with order and payment issues or disputes.
- Assists in the administration of procurement platforms/technology.
- Designs catalog, shopping lists for end users.
- Represent/Collaborate in higher ed buying organizations.
- Support the development of new contract rollout strategies, communication and client relationships.
- Analyzes purchase requisitions and supporting, supplier quotes, bids, proposals, and contracts/purchase orders for adherence to applicable laws, statutes, policies, and procedures with the intent of achieving best value while maintaining compliance.
- Investigate product options and coordinate the complete purchase and delivery of various items, including any unique products and other needs as requested by the campus community.
- Coordinate meetings with employees and vendors for furniture needs and obtain necessary quotes and layout designs.
- Other related duties and projects as assigned.
We offer exceptional benefits including, but not limited to the following:
- Generous Vacation, Sick and Personal Time
- Winter Recess Break in Addition to Paid Holidays
- Healthcare, Dental, and Vision Insurance (Flexible Spending and Dependent Care Accounts)
- Free On-Campus Fitness Facility Access and Discounts for On-Campus Wellness Programs
- Employee Scholarships toward Certifications, Seminars, Training and Professional Development
- Pre and Post Tax participation in a 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Salary Continuation Program in the event of Disability
- Tuition Assistance Program for Employee, Spouse and/or Dependents
Note: All new hires of Union College are subject to a thorough education, work experience, and criminal history background check.
Officially chartered in 1795, Union College is the fifth oldest liberal arts college in the country. Located in the Capital District of New York State, Union is a highly selective residential and undergraduate college, home to 2,200 students and 220 faculty, and offering 44 majors. Union was the first liberal arts college to rethink the traditional liberal arts education and adopt an engineering curriculum. That pioneering approach continues today with an education that encourages students to work beyond the limits of disciplinary boundaries, allowing them to think globally and lead innovatively in a world where problem solving requires breadth across humanities, arts, social sciences, science, and engineering.
Diversity at Union College
Union College is an equal opportunity employer and strongly committed to student and workforce diversity. Increasing diversity on campus is a critical priority for Union, one that is integral to our mission of preparing students for a globally interconnected world. Union provides a blend of intellectual, social and cultural opportunities to facilitate the integrated academic, social and personal development of a diverse community. We value and are committed to a host of diverse populations and cultures including, but not limited to, those based on race, religion, disability, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin and veteran status. Union College is committed to providing access and will provide reasonable accommodation in its application process to individuals with disabilities that request such accommodations.
Union College will not discriminate in the recruitment or selection of faculty and employees, or in any other area of employment, on the basis of age, sex, race, national origin, religion, religious belief, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and veteran status. In this regard, opportunities for advancement will be made available without bias. The College is also subject to state and federal laws, supports efforts to attract and retain fully qualified women and other minority group members for faculty and other positions. Union College will comply with the letter and intent of all State and Federal laws and applicable orders pursuant to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action.