The Finance department at Union College is seeking a highly professional and experienced Administrative Assistant to provide high-level administrative and operational assistance to the Vice President for Administration and Finance. In this collaborative and dynamic position the Administrative Assistant will perform diverse administrative duties for the finance department to support its work with internal and external audiences.
- Associates degree and 7-10 years of experience providing direct administrative or program support to executive level; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of five years related experience in a high-level administrative assistant position.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, Google Apps (i.e. Gmail, Google Calendar and Google Docs), and Apple products.
- Experience working in an executive office setting, including: managing complex calendars and scheduling/arranging meetings, events, and conferences
- Strong organizational, administrative, and interpersonal skills with the ability to work on multiple tasks and projects concurrently
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively as part of a larger team
- Strong analytical skills (spreadsheets e.g.) and research skills (finding references, background information) are necessary.
- Ability to complete tasks efficiently and accurately and with a strong attention to detail
- High level of dedication and commitment; a willingness to “go the extra mile”
- Ability to establish priorities in an often demanding, fast-paced, and evolving environment and to maintain patience and composure
- Ability to exercise tact, resourcefulness, diplomacy, discretion, and confidentiality in a variety of situations
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with a wide variety of individuals, including faculty, students, trustees, alumni, staff, parents, vendors, and contractors
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
- Demonstrated experience engaging a diverse student body.
- Maintain VPAF calendar and scheduling of VPAF appointments.
- Assist VPAF in managing assignments to direct reports, coordinating receipt of materials, and scheduling meetings.
- Maintain files requiring review, approval and signature, with follow-up as appropriate.
- Assist VPAF in overseeing and maintaining databases for insurance, employee policies, risk management responsibilities, and legal matters.
- Exercise judgment in receiving calls and greeting guests, directing when appropriate to the VP, and other offices of the College.
- Exercise appropriate judgment when handling correspondence, confidential materials, and other critical documents.
- Work with the VP on daily correspondence, including the review of incoming and outgoing mail, editing outgoing mail, and redirecting incoming mail when appropriate.
- Exercise extreme caution in conversations and when handling calls and materials as well as limit access of others (e.g., work study students) to materials in order to preserve confidentiality.
- Maintain office files, both paper and electronic, in an organized and efficient manner.
- Review and maintain the finance website including updating material, adding text/photos and making suggestions for improvements and changes.
- Prepare financial reports at the request of the VP.
- Assist in supporting the Board of Trustees, including posting materials to the Board portal, assisting with meeting logistics, and otherwise helping to ensure successful Board meetings.
- Provide accomplished support for and application of information technology, including word processing, databases, spreadsheets, and web publishing.
- Accompany and support the VP at campus and local presentations, meetings, and events when requested.
- Work closely with other administrative assistants across the College.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
We offer exceptional benefits including, but not limited to the following:
- Generous Vacation, Sick and Personal Time
- Winter Recess Break in Addition to Paid Holidays
- Healthcare, Dental, and Vision Insurance (Flexible Spending and Dependent Care Accounts)
- Free On-Campus Fitness Facility Access and Discounts for On-Campus Wellness Programs
- Employee Scholarships toward Certifications, Seminars, Training and Professional Development
- Pre and Post Tax participation in a 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Salary Continuation Program in the event of Disability
- Tuition Assistance Program for Employee, Spouse and/or Dependents
Note: All new hires of Union College are subject to a thorough education, work experience, and criminal history background check.
Officially chartered in 1795, Union College is the fifth oldest liberal arts college in the country. Located in the Capital District of New York State, Union is a highly selective residential and undergraduate college, home to 2,200 students and 220 faculty, and offering 44 majors. Union was the first liberal arts college to rethink the traditional liberal arts education and adopt an engineering curriculum. That pioneering approach continues today with an education that encourages students to work beyond the limits of disciplinary boundaries, allowing them to think globally and lead innovatively in a world where problem solving requires breadth across humanities, arts, social sciences, science, and engineering.
Diversity at Union College
Union College is an equal opportunity employer and strongly committed to student and workforce diversity. Increasing diversity on campus is a critical priority for Union, one that is integral to our mission of preparing students for a globally interconnected world. Union provides a blend of intellectual, social and cultural opportunities to facilitate the integrated academic, social and personal development of a diverse community. We value and are committed to a host of diverse populations and cultures including, but not limited to, those based on race, religion, disability, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin and veteran status. Union College is committed to providing access and will provide reasonable accommodation in its application process to individuals with disabilities that request such accommodations.
Union College will not discriminate in the recruitment or selection of faculty and employees, or in any other area of employment, on the basis of age, sex, race, national origin, religion, religious belief, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and veteran status. In this regard, opportunities for advancement will be made available without bias. The College is also subject to state and federal laws, supports efforts to attract and retain fully qualified women and other minority group members for faculty and other positions. Union College will comply with the letter and intent of all State and Federal laws and applicable orders pursuant to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action.