Work Days: Varies
Shift Start/End Time: Varies - coverage is 7:30am - 9:30pm based on weekly activity
Hours Per Week: 30-35
Weeks Per Year: 10
The Summer Events Assistant works with the Union College Special Events Coordinators on scheduling materials and space availability for academic and sports camps on the Union College campus. This position assists with room request setups and helps with the logistical aspects of events. Special Events is expected to hire between 6-8 candidates to provide coverage throughout the summer camp season.
- Works with the Events Coordinator to ensure correctness of the reservation by verifying group requirements and the finalized set up details (i.e. meal counts, catering, audio visual and any other services)
- Process auxiliary requests related to campus space reservations, such as Technology, Security, Housekeeping, Setups, Dining Services, Facilities, etc.
- Assist with set-up/break-down of events held throughout campus facilities. Must be willing to set-up and take-down tables and chairs, etc.
- Ensure adherence to College policies related to events and venue limitations. Determine that all group setup needs adhere to Fire Codes; consult Risk Management Office if needed.
- Monitor events to ensure camp needs are met.
- Assist with opening & closing of residence halls: inspecting and preparing rooms for camps.
- Respond to and refer questions, complaints and inquiries, addressing the inquiry in a professional and efficient manner.
- Attend, document discussion, and update Events staff at Events Coordination meetings and other meetings as needed.
- Assists with event planning and staffing as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by Events & Conference Director
Candidates must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to effectively interact with various constituencies from diverse backgrounds. Customer service experience is preferred. Knowledge of Union College campus is highly desirable. Strong organizational and time management skills, with accuracy and attention to detail preferred. Computer experience with MS Office and social media a plus. Candidates must be available to work between June 18, 2018 - August 23, 2018. Event shift coverage is between 7:30am - 9:30pm and may include evenings and weekends. A valid driver's license is required to operate department vehicles.
Note: All new hires of Union College are subject to a thorough education, work experience, criminal history background check and pre-employment physical where applicable.
Officially chartered in 1795, Union College is the fifth oldest liberal arts college in the country. Located in the Capital District of New York State, Union is a highly selective residential and undergraduate college, home to 2,200 students and 220 faculty, and offering 44 majors. Union was the first liberal arts college to rethink the traditional liberal arts education and adopt an engineering curriculum. That pioneering approach continues today with an education that encourages students to work beyond the limits of disciplinary boundaries, allowing them to think globally and lead innovatively in a world where problem solving requires breadth across humanities, arts, social sciences, science, and engineering.
Union College offers an exceptional benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, life and disability coverage, a generous retirement plan and tuition remission.
Diversity at Union College
Union College is an equal opportunity employer and strongly committed to student and workforce diversity. Increasing diversity on campus is a critical priority for Union, one that is integral to our mission of preparing students for a globally interconnected world. Union provides a blend of intellectual, social and cultural opportunities to facilitate the integrated academic, social and personal development of a diverse community. We value and are committed to a host of diverse populations and cultures including, but not limited to, those based on race, religion, disability, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin and veteran status. Union College is committed to providing access and will provide reasonable accommodation in its application process to individuals with disabilities that request such accommodations.
Union College will not discriminate in the recruitment or selection of faculty and employees, or in any other area of employment, on the basis of age, sex, race, national origin, religion, religious belief, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and veteran status. In this regard, opportunities for advancement will be made available without bias. The College is also subject to state and federal laws, supports efforts to attract and retain fully qualified women and other minority group members for faculty and other positions. Union College will comply with the letter and intent of all State and Federal laws and applicable orders pursuant to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action.