Work Days: Varies – On Call
Shift Start/End Time: Varies – On Call
Hours Per Week: Varies
Weeks Per Year: Varies
Van Driver - On Call
Pay Status and Classification: Temporary, on call.
Supervisor: Transportation Manager
Position Purpose: Provides transportation of Union College students, staff and community members to and from College approved locations following safety protocols.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Safety Compliance: Conducts pre-trip inspections of equipment before each designated route. Reports concerns regarding vehicle safety, road hazards, and safety for the community being served i.e. road hazards, sick or intoxicated students to the immediate supervisor from Campus Safety. Complies with random drug and alcohol testing requirements.
- Trip Management and Reporting: Provides trip information to the dispatcher before each trip. Maintains scheduled times and locations for the 'Trolley Service.' Reports all incidents, whether minor or major, to the immediate supervisor from Campus Safety.
- Two or more years of transportation driving experience.
- Valid NYS Driver’s License with a clean driving record.
- Strong communication skills and ability to exercise exceptional judgment and demonstrate outstanding professionalism in a range of situations.
- Demonstrated commitment to following safety procedures.
- The ability to foster and enhance a thriving, culturally diverse, and inclusive learning community, while promoting a sense of belonging among students, alumni, faculty, and staff colleagues.
- Able to anticipate, deliver on, and exceed the expectations of constituencies served e.g., students, faculty, alumni, supervisees, and colleagues.
The expected rate for this position is $15.00 per hour. Except for roles with a set rate of pay, the wage/salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to departmental budgets, qualifications, experience, education, licenses, specialty, and training. The stated hiring rate/range represents the College’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the rate/range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
Note: All new hires of Union College are subject to a thorough education, work experience, criminal history background check and pre-employment physical where applicable.
Officially chartered in 1795, Union College is the fifth oldest liberal arts college in the country. Located in the Capital District of New York State, Union is a highly selective residential and undergraduate college, home to 2,200 students and 220 faculty, and offering 44 majors. Union was the first liberal arts college to rethink the traditional liberal arts education and adopt an engineering curriculum. That pioneering approach continues today with an education that encourages students to work beyond the limits of disciplinary boundaries, allowing them to think globally and lead innovatively in a world where problem solving requires breadth across humanities, arts, social sciences, science, and engineering.
Diversity at Union College
Union College is an equal opportunity employer and strongly committed to student and workforce diversity. Increasing diversity on campus is a critical priority for Union, one that is integral to our mission of preparing students for a globally interconnected world. Union provides a blend of intellectual, social and cultural opportunities to facilitate the integrated academic, social and personal development of a diverse community. We value and are committed to a host of diverse populations and cultures including, but not limited to, those based on race, religion, disability, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin and veteran status. Union College is committed to providing access and will provide reasonable accommodation in its application process to individuals with disabilities that request such accommodations.
Union College will not discriminate in the recruitment or selection of faculty and employees, or in any other area of employment, on the basis of age, sex, race, national origin, religion, religious belief, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and veteran status. In this regard, opportunities for advancement will be made available without bias. The College is also subject to state and federal laws, supports efforts to attract and retain fully qualified women and other minority group members for faculty and other positions. Union College will comply with the letter and intent of all State and Federal laws and applicable orders pursuant to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action.